Malnutrition: Symptoms and Treatment
Malnutrition occurs when the body lacks the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients necessary to maintain healthy tissues and organ function. People who are either undernourish or over nourish suffer from this disease.
Malnutrition is divide into two categories:
- Due to a lack of protein and calories
- It caused by a lack of micronutrients
Itis a widespread problem in India. Approximately one-third of Indians are believed to be malnourished, while over 40% of Indian children are believed to be undernourished.
Signs & Symptoms Of Malnutrition
The following are some indications and symptoms of malnutrition:
- Fatigue and irritability due to a lack of appetite or interest in food or drink
- A constant sense of chilly sadness and a difficulty to concentrate
- Loss of fat, muscle mass, and bodily tissue puts you at a higher risk of getting sick and makes wounds take longer to heal.
- A greater chance of problems following surgery
- Unintentional weight loss — losing 5% to 10% of one’s body weight in three to six months is one of the most common indications of malnutrition.
- a low body weight — persons who have a BMI of less than 18.5 are at danger of malnutrition (use the BMI calculator to work out your BMI)
- In youngsters, a lack of interest in eating and drinking, feeling tired all of the time, feeling weak, becoming ill frequently and recovering slowly, not growing or putting on weight at the predicted rate
Treatment for malnutrition is determined by your overall health and the severity of your malnutrition.
Usually, the first piece of dietary advice is to: eat high-calorie, high-protein “fortified” foods as a snack in between meals, and consume calorie-dense beverages.
The following treatments is follow to treat obesity
- Dietary adjustments, such as eating high-energy and nutrient-dense foods
- support for families to assist them in coping with variables that affect a child’s nutritional intake
- malnutrition therapy for any underlying medical conditions
- Supplements with vitamins and minerals
- if the other therapies aren’t enough on their own, high-energy and protein nutritional supplements